Monday, August 1, 2011

Figs Revisited

In this blog, we've posted two things on the figs in our school garden--both fig plants dedicated to loved ones.  Figs are beautiful plants and the fig is a luscious fresh fruit. For those who only know figs from dried fig sources such as Fig Newtons, you have such a treat in store when you try them fresh.  I have two figs in my home garden--one has never born any figs and the other has some small, unripe figs right now. I can't wait for the harvest to come.

I'm going to share a poem I published five years ago. I hope you enjoy it:

Ripe Figs

Umbrageous coolness overhead,
treasure quietly hidden
among the shadows.


Branches hold small pendulous figs,
some still hard and green,
others ripe, the color of paper bags.


Inside each, a tracery of seeds
lingers in the soft red flesh
eliciting a quiver of unexpected greed


Mary Kendall

©2006 Aroostook Review






No comments:

Post a Comment