Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rain


night thunder
parched summer garden
revels in the rain


I was so thrilled to have rain in my own garden this week, that it seemed only fitting to toss in a haiku about it here. Those of you reading this who live in Durham had some rain several days in a row. From my side of the road in Chapel Hill, we had thunder and lightning but no rain until Tuesday when the skies opened and gifted us with much needed rain. How refreshing! The next morning I went into my garden and you could feel that plants were happy. Oddly enough, a bed of mint that I've been patientlly trying to get rid of had revived. I swear the new mint had grown four inches overnight, so now it's back to square one in eradicating this pesky mint.

Because our school garden got ample rain, there is no need to go and water it this week. We will have a group gardening meet up next Friday, July 8th. (Where is the summer going?) Meanwhile, I hope you all enjoy working in your own gardens and taking advantage of the great farmers market offerings.

Should you be interested, blueberries and blackberries are ready for picking locally at Herndon Hills Farms in Durham. Their fields are very kid-friendly and the offer the hospitality of chairs under shade trees and cool water to sip. You can't beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment